Monday 24 October 2016

Writing for 10/24

Date : 10/24

Time starting : 9.45 p.m

Idea I am pursuing : Thoughts about online game (Dota 2)

Time ending :  10.00 p.m

Defense of the Ancients 2 or more popularly known as Dota 2 is probably one of my most played online game ever. My real-time statistics on the game shows that I had spent more than 4000+ hours in it and still have not gotten bored of it. So, what is this game about?. It is a MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) game which consist of 2 teams with 5 players in each team respectively. These 10 players will then proceed to pick the characters that they wanted to use in the current game. There are over 100 unique characters to be chosen, each with their own special traits, strengths and weaknesses. The objective of this game is to destroy the opponent "ancient" which lies deep in the heart of each team base, hence the title "Defense of the Ancients".

Some of the characters in the game are derived from ancient myths such as the Father of all Gods, Zeus as well as the infamous Gorgon, Medusa. It is really the same map that I played over and over again but truth be spoken, it never gets boring. Well, sometimes I do get bored and will leave the game untouched for few days before somehow magically started playing it back again. In the game, the most important thing is communications between the teammates. It is perhaps not exaggerating to say that cooperation is the most critical aspect to secure a victory. While outstanding personal skill might help the team to a degree, a synchronized, well-organized team always triumph over any individual star. There is this one saying in the game that I really liked which sounds as follow, "You already have 5 enemies that you are facing. Be careful not to make more". A constant bickering between teammates are an early sign of the inevitable lose.

However, the most appealing thing about this game is when it is played with friends. I admit sometimes it might get too "hot" since the game itself is pretty competitive in nature. We can spend the whole game blaming each other if everything goes wrong and yet tomorrow we will still play together like nothing happened. If anything, it makes the bonds between me and my friends deeper through just a simple game. Occasionally, we will enjoy having simply a fun game where we are able to laugh heartily despite losing the game. It is also a fun place to vent some stress and frustration where you can just throw out all the anger by whipping your opponents to oblivion. Therefore, despite my overwhelming amount of time spent playing this game, there is still more for me to learn and I doubt I will stop playing it anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment